The Elephant & the architecture of 2001: A Space Odessey

I mentioned the other day that one of the rooms in the Elephant reminded me of the scene where the Nostromo spaceship explodes at the end of Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979).

This room is very large across both horizontal axis but only the height of a normal, smaller sized room. This has the effect of exaggerating perspective. The last time I was there, as I entered the room the lights were off. The windows at the other end were sending in a white light which was reflecting off the floor and the ceiling, the full length of the wide, flat space, towards the doorway I was standing in.

After thinking more about the passing comment, I remembered that the 'star gate' sequence (below) from 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968) is the seminal version of the image I was reminded of.

Also, I think that an influence on me coming to this connection was that the external (and to some degree, the internal) architecture of the Elephant is reminiscent of the architecture of spaceships from that era of cinema.

0 comments:

Post a Comment